This recipe makes approximately 6-8 cakes. If you live on your own make the whole batch and freeze the leftovers in meal sized portions.
185 g tinned salmon or leftover cooked fish
2 cups cold mashed potatoes
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 T fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup flour
1 T water
1 ½ cups polenta* or breadcrumbs
2 t oil
*Polenta, also known as cornmeal, can be purchased from most supermarkets or Binn Inn.
- Drain tinned fish and flake.
- Place in bowl with potato, onion, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Mix well to combine.
- Shape the mixture into small balls and gently roll in flour. Flatten into rounds.
- Lightly beat egg and water together.
- Dip each fish cake in egg mixture.
- Pour the polenta/breadcrumbs onto a plate and roll each fish cake to coat.
- Lightly oil and heat fry pan.
- Add fish cakes and cook until golden on both sides.
Serving Suggestion: Garnish with lemon wedges and serve with fresh bread and green vegetables or a green salad.