Outdoor tomatoes make the best sauce - Roma and Beefsteak are perfect!
6kg ripe tomatoes
750g white sugar
750g brown sugar
75g whole allspice (tied in small bags of muslin cloth)
750ml malt vinegar
- Cut tomatoes roughly in chunks.
- Place all ingredients into a large stock pot and boil all together for 3 hours stirring occasionally.
- Remove small bags of spice and when cool put through the food processor.
- Bring to the boil again for 30 minutes.
- Pour into sterilised bottles.
Sterilising bottles and jars
Sterilise bottles and jars by placing them in an oven heated to 120°C, for about 15 minutes. Keep jars hot until required. Lids/seals can be sterilised by placing them in a pan of boiling water. These can be left simmering until required. Pour contents into the bottles/jars while still hot and screw on the lids.
Makes a large quantity.