This dish is absolutely delicious for cooler nights. It will provide more fibre than the traditional macaroni cheese, and a protein and calcium boost. Try different combinations of vegetables e.g. baby spinach and corn, cauliflower florets and peas, broccoli and cherry tomatoes. This dish reheats well, so if dining alone, make an extra serve for another time or invite a friend for dinner!
|Broccoli, chopped into small florets||1/2 cup||1 cup|
|Oil||2 T||3 T|
|Flour||1 heaped T||2 heaped T|
|Trim milk||1/2 cup||1 cup|
|Ground nutmeg||1/4 t||1/2 t|
|Grated Edam cheese||1/2 cup||1 cup|
|Dijon mustard||1/2 t||1 t|
|Corn kernels, frozen, fresh or canned||1/4 cup||1/2 cup|
|Wholemeal bread crumbs (optional)||1 T||2 T|
- Cook pasta according to packet directions in plenty of water. Drain and set aside when cooked.
- Microwave the broccoli in about 2 T water, covered in a microwave safe bowl for 2 minutes on high. Drain and set aside when cooked.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan.
- When heated, quickly mix in the flour with a whisk or fork. Stir until it forms a paste, this should take a minute or two.
- Add half the milk and the nutmeg to the saucepan, stirring quickly.
- The sauce will begin to boil and thicken. When this happens, add the remaining milk and continue stirring for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add half the grated cheese and mustard. Stir until smooth.
- Sti pasta, cooked broccoli, corn and remaining cheese through the sauce.
- Remove frm the heat. Put each serve into a small oven proof dish/ramekin. Sprinkle wholemeal breadcrumbs on top and brown under the grill for 3-4 minutes.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a salad or lightly cooked vegetables. Keep in ramekin to serve.