Homemade chutney is simple to make and often tastes nicer than bought varieties. Try this simple recipe made with apples and dried fruits.
3 large apples
2 large onions
8 cloves garlic
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup raisins
1 cup stoned, chopped prunes
⅔ cup chopped crystallised ginger
2 t salt
1 t curry powder
¼ t ground pepper
2 cups white sugar
4 cups white vinegar
- Peel apples and cut into chunks. Peel onions and garlic and slice finely. Combine all ingredients into a large deep saucepan.
- Bring to the boil stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 40 minutes until fruit is soft and mixture is thick. Stir often to prevent sticking.
- Add extra vinegar if it gets too thick.
- Spoon into sterilised jars and cover immediately with lids or cellophane covers.
Sterilising bottles and jars
Sterilise bottles and jars by placing them in an oven heated to 120°C, for about 15 minutes. Lids/seals can be sterilised by placing them in a pan of boiling water. These can be left simmering until required. Pour contents into the bottles/jars while still hot and screw on the lids.