Delicious, moist and easy to make.
1 cup dates, chopped
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
1¼ cups boiling water
1 t baking soda
150 g (¾ cup) margarine or butter
½ cup sugar
1 t vanilla essence
2 cups plain flour
1 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
Icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
- Lightly grease a 22cm round cake with oil and line the base with baking paper.
- Combine dates, apple and boiling water in a bowl. Stir in baking soda. Cool.
- In another bowl, beat margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon together in a third bowl.
- Fold apple mixture and dry ingredients alternately into egg mixture.
- Pour into cake tin. Bake for 1 hour or until skewer inserted in the centre of cake comes out clean.
- Leave in cake tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
- Dust cake with icing sugar before serving.
Recipe from Cooking for Older People – Easy Recipes for One or Two,
Canterbury District Health Board.