The addition of mashed banana or grated apple makes these muffins very moist.
Great served with a milky drink as a nutritious snack.
(Makes 10 muffins)
2 T margarine or butter
1 T golden syrup
1 cup flour (wholemeal or plain)
1 cup oat bran
½ cup wheatgerm
¼ cup brown sugar
1 t mixed spice
1 t baking powder
¼ cup chopped dates or raisins
1¼ cup milk
1 t baking soda
1 mashed banana or 1 grated apple
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Lightly grease 1 set of muffins tins with a pastry brush and oil or oil spray.
- Melt margarine and golden syrup.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Dissolve baking soda in milk. Add to melted margarine.
- Add mashed banana or grated apple to liquid ingredients.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Do not overmix as this will produce a tough muffin.
- Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Recipe from Cooking for Older People – Easy Recipes for One or Two,
Canterbury District Health Board.